NOTE:

Dear visitor (if there is any) please note the following: The blog "Broken Radius" is hosted at Google Blogger's server. I can therefore not guarantee that your visit to the blog or any comment you write wont be recorded by the NSA. If you have any worries about this, you can visit instead my alternative blog Letters-to-a-Persian-Cat. This one is hosted at a European server which hopefully acknowledges visitors privacy.

29.3.15

Mona Lisa - I can't share the hype

Since centuries there is this hype around Leonardos "Mona Lisa". I always have problems understanding this.  I like the fact that she has dark hair, whereas in the 15th century renaissance era, woman where usually painted blond: Maries blond hair was a sort of synonym for the immaculate conception, and hence it became a standard of beauty on most womans portraits over the times.
Da Vinci did his best to show that dark hair can decorate a beautiful face equally well.
But what I will never forgive old Leonardo:  that he forgot to give his Mona Lisa proper eye brows. Was he short of time, or did not had a decent brush with sufficient fine line ? How can one draw a beautiful face without eye brows ?  If I would ever have the chance to spend a "night a the louvre museum", I knew where to go and how to do some improvements on Mona Lisa's portrait.  It is good to know that it is behind a glass plate. I think a black Edding works better on glass than on oil painting. 
Leonardo's Mona Lisa (improved version)

No comments:

Post a Comment